In 1927 Mr W J Lawrie was appointed headmaster of Saltley Grammar School and introduced rugby football to the school.
Six years later (1933) saw the formation of “Saltley Old Boys RFC” whose name was changed to Old Saltleians Rugby Football Club in 1937.
Regular fixtures continued until 1939 when they were curtailed for four years due to the outbreak of World War II.
The club was reformed in 1944 and had homes at Sedgemoor Road, Castle Bromwich Airfield, Marston Green Golf Course and Sheldon, before moving to Watton Lane, Water Orton during the 1954-55 season.
Following long soul searching the club decided to go “open” from 1968-69 and has grown from its home in a shack where the M42 now passes to the current clubhouse in Watton Lane which was opened in 1982.
In 1984 a Mini/Junior section was started and continues to prove successful in its strive to produce the players of the future.
Construction of the M6 Toll Road in 2001 brought further changes, a new playing area and car park for the loss of the original pitch.
The advent of league rugby brought major changes to the fixture list, out went return ‘friendly’ matches and in came the more competitive league system with coaching and structured training.
2011 brought more threats from public transport, this time HS2, the high speed rail link. Watton Lane will be no more and will make way for the new railway. Old Saltleians RFC will have to relocate.
2012 Old Saltleians RFC becomes a Limited Company.
2013 RFU Accreditation.